...music you should know.

Wednesday, April 2, 2008

The Whigs - "Already Young" (2008)

The Whigs are a three piece rock band that hail from Athens, GA. Because of their hometown, the Whigs have been mentioned in the same sentence as fellow townies R.E.M. in nearly every existing music publication lately, but if you ask me there aren’t really any similarities. The Whigs recently released their sophomore album Mission Control and it’s an excellent collection of southern rock tinged tunes with fuzzy guitars and raspy vocals courtesy of front man Parker Gispert. Back in January, I was ready to hate The Whigs simply because there was an enormous amount of buzz surrounding the new album and everyone was proclaiming them the next big thing. Usually when I hear this from several media outlets, it means that the band has no real talent and is just a flash in the pan (i.e. Vampire Weekend.) After seeing The Whigs perform Mission Control’s lead single “Right Hand on My Heart” on Letterman, I found myself humming it constantly and eventually downloaded it and then of course had to purchase the album. That song alone is worth the price of the album and the video is equally impressive. The Whigs have a sound that puts them in the same category as Kings of Leon and at times even The White Stripes. This album is great for driving with the windows down and I really dig the Southern feel of it. Today’s song is one of the heavier tracks and I love the way Gispert delivers the line “I don’t care what your old man thinks of me.”


The Whigs - "Already Young"

No comments:

Post a Comment