...music you should know.

Monday, April 28, 2008

Secret & Whisper - "The Actress" (2008)

Secret & Whisper is one of the up and coming acts on one of my favorite labels, Tooth & Nail Records. The band had seen some success in the screamo/emo scene before under the name Stutterfly. I vaguely remember seeing a video by them a few years back and I’m pretty sure that I thought it sucked. After getting dropped from their label, their previous lead singer decided to hang it up but the rest of the band moved forward, creating the kind of music they wanted to. The band hooked up with new vocalist Charles Furney and Secret & Whisper was born. When I first heard “XOXOXO,” the first single from their debut Great White Whale, I immediately thought of the band Saosin. I don’t think anyone would disagree that Furney’s vocals bear a huge resemblance to Cove Reber of Saosin and even Anthony Green of Circa Survive, who used to sing in Saosin. Secret & Whisper may not be incredibly original, but that doesn’t mean they’re not incredibly talented. There is some very intricate guitar work going on throughout Great White Whale, with songs ranging from in your face rockers, to more ballad like material. That being said, some of the songs seem to repeat each other and there are a few fillers, but it’s still a solid debut. Today’s song is one of the slower tracks and I think it showcases some cool electronic elements of the band as well as Furney’s impressive range.



Secret & Whisper - "The Actress"

No comments:

Post a Comment