...music you should know.

Thursday, April 3, 2008

Hum - "Stars" (1995)

Hum was an alternative rock band from Illinois that gained popularity in the mid 90s mostly due to the success of today’s song. “Stars” was the big single from their third overall record (and first for RCA) You’d Prefer an Astronaut. Some have classified Hum as “space-rock” probably due in part to the titles of today’s song and the album from which it came, however I can see what people mean when they say that. There is an intangible “spacey” feel to their music. I wish I could tell you that I was rocking to this song back when it came out when I was in the 5th grade, but my musical knowledge was not yet developed at that point. I didn’t learn about Hum until nearly seven years later while working in college radio. I haven’t heard much else by them, but this song is definitely the stand out of what I heard. You might recognize the main riff as it was used in a couple of Cadillac commercials last year. I had already decided to post this song when yesterday I received the new Alternative Press in the mail and “Stars” was featured on their list of “10 Essential Alternate-Universe Hit Singles.” The list was comprised of songs that would be hits in another universe where radio wasn't clogged with crap. I have to agree with its inclusion on the list and I think you will too.


Hum - "Stars"

No comments:

Post a Comment