...music you should know.

Saturday, April 19, 2008

Band of Horses - "No One's Gonna Love You" (2007)

Band of Horses are an indie band from Seattle on Sub Pop Records. They released their full length debut Everything All the Time in early 2006. At that time, I was ready to dismiss them as another buzz band that wouldn’t last. I heard a couple of tracks and wasn’t too impressed, so I didn’t think too much more about them. Last fall, Band of Horses put out their second album Cease To Begin. I was seeing it in all the music magazines and it was getting favorable reviews. I still didn’t want to like them, but I don’t really know why. Finally, I heard the lead single “Is There a Ghost?” on the local college station and was immediately impressed. Somewhere along that time, I saw this commercial and I really dug the song. After a little research, I found that it was the Band of Horses track “The Funeral” from Everything All the Time. I was doubly intrigued and in January, I picked up both albums. Band of Horses have been compared to My Morning Jacket several times and I can see why, with the similar guitar tones and the way Band of Horses singer Ben Bridwell’s voice is at times not unlike Jim James from MMJ. That’s not to say, however, that Band of Horses somehow rip them off. No they are definitely their own band and both albums are excellent. Bridwell is originally from South Carolina and some Southern influences show through. “No One’s Gonna Love You” was released as the second single from Cease To Begin back in February.


Band of Horses - "No One's Gonna Love You"

No comments:

Post a Comment