...music you should know.

Sunday, April 27, 2008

The New Amsterdams - "Hanging On for Hope" (2003)

The New Amsterdams began as the side project of Get Up Kids frontman Matthew Pryor. Their first album Never You Mind came out in 2000 on Heroes & Villains Records, an imprint on Vagrant started by The Get Up Kids. The New Amsterdams found Pryor writing more stripped down and acoustic folkish songs that wouldn’t have fit in with the Get Up Kids sound. Pryor continued to record New Amsterdams records, releasing Para Toda Vida in 2001 and Worse for the Wear in 2003. After the Get Up Kids split in 2006, The New Amsterdams became Pryor’s main musical focus. He released Story Like a Scar in 2006, which was followed by Killed or Cured, a double album that had been shelved but finally saw the light of day. His most recent effort is last year’s At the Foot of My Rival. I’ve yet to pick that one up but I’m sure it’s great. Today’s song comes from Worse for the Wear, which is probably my favorite New Amsterdams record. Maybe because it’s the first one I heard, but nevertheless I dig it.


The New Amsterdams - "Hanging On for Hope"

No comments:

Post a Comment