...music you should know.

Friday, April 11, 2008

Nada Surf - "I Like What You Say" (2008)

I featured Nada Surf in a previous post and talked all about their rise to popularity in the mid 90s due to the success of their single “Popular” and how they somewhat fell into obscurity afterwards. With their third album Let Go and fourth album The Weight Is a Gift, Nada Surf proved that they should be taken seriously as indie songwriters. I was eagerly awaiting their fifth album Lucky and when it hit stores in early February, I got everything I expected and more. The album kicks off with the excellent “See These Bones” which seems like an open letter to young bands warning them that fame is fleeting. It’s an outstanding track with guest vocals from Death Cab for Cutie’s Ben Gibbard, whose voice meshes so well with Nada Surf singer Matthew Caws that I had to hear it a few times to tell who was who. Other standouts include “Beautiful Beat,” a poppy treatise on the power of a good song and “Weightless,” one of the album’s heavier tracks. I chose today’s song because it’s probably the one that grabbed me the most on my first listen through Lucky. This is an excellent album and will probably be on my list for best albums of 2008. I would suggest looking for the special edition that features a bonus disc with four extra songs including two acoustic versions and the excellent track “I Wanna Take You Home” which probably should have been included on the album.


Nada Surf - "I Like What You Say"

No comments:

Post a Comment