...music you should know.

Tuesday, November 6, 2007

The Weakerthans - "Civil Twilight" (2007)

The Weakerthans are a band from Canada that write verbose, witty and extremely catchy indie rock songs. I didn’t discover them until their third album Reconstruction Site in 2003. I was impressed with singer John Samson’s songs that were lyrically deep and read more like a short story than a song. Some standouts on that record were “The Reasons,” the quirky “Plea From a Cat Named Virtue” which is sung from the point of view of a house cat, and the great climax of the album “The Prescience of Dawn.” I also discovered the gem “Aside” from their previous album Left and Leaving after it appeared on the soundtrack to Wedding Crashers. They just released their fourth studio album Reunion Tour in September and while I’ve yet to hear the whole album, today’s song and lead single “Civil Twilight” is a good indication that it’s worth picking up. This song, like so many other Weakerthans songs, has a definable verse and chorus musically, but the lyrics never repeat. It’s an interesting approach to songwriting that Samson has mastered quite well. Another song on the album that I’m anxious to hear is “Virtue the Cat Explains Her Departure” which I can only assume is the sequel to the aforementioned “Plea.” The band posted some webisodes about the making of the album leading up to the release date including this particularly funny one. While I’ve yet to get it myself I think I’ll go ahead and suggest this album. The Weakerthans are one of the most unique bands in indie rock and they deserve a wider audience.


The Weakerthans - "Civil Twilight"

No comments:

Post a Comment