...music you should know.

Saturday, November 3, 2007

Spitalfield - "Gold Dust vs. State of Illinois" (2005)

Spitalfield were a pretty cool band from Chicago. I just found out they broke up when I got the new issue of Alternative Press and it had a list of “10 Essential Albums by Bands That Broke Up This Year.” AP’s pick was Spitalfield’s 2003 debut Remember Right Now, but I’m more partial to their sophomore effort Stop Doing Bad Things. Spitalfield were one of the few bands on Victory other than Thursday and Taking Back Sunday that I actually liked. In my opinion they were much better than their label mates like Hawthorne Heights and Aiden, but I digress. Today’s song is my favorite of theirs from Stop. With one of the many odd titles from this album “Gold Dust vs. State of Illinois” showcased Spitalfield at their best. The sound is definitely a mix of Foo Fighters and Jimmy Eat World and maybe Spitalfield could have been as big as either of those bands, but now we’ll never know. They released their third and final album last year entitled Better Than Knowing Where You Are. I haven’t heard much from that, but I would suggest if you’ve never heard them check out Stop Doing Bad Things.


Spitalfield - "Gold Dust vs. State of Illinois"

2 comments:

  1. You have a keen eye for detail as usual. It was supposed to be "doing" and has now been corrected.

    ReplyDelete