...music you should know.

Saturday, November 10, 2007

Cold - "It's All Good" (2000)

Cold is a band that really hit their stride back in 2001 when bands like Staind and Nickelback were starting get heavy airplay. (Unfortunately Nickelback still is.) Now that’s not to say that Cold sounds like either of those bands, but their brand of angsty hard rock does put them in the same genre. Their breakout record was their sophomore album 13 Ways To Bleed On Stage was released in 2000, and had some really heavy rocking tracks as well as a few on the more mellow side, like their single “Bleed” and today’s track “It’s All Good.” I heard this song on the radio and then I downloaded it from Napster but was surprised that the album version’s lyrics were far different and unnecessarily more foul than the radio edit. I can usually go either way on whether to get a clean version or the “parental advisory” version of a CD. For most of the bands I listen to, there is no need because there aren’t explicit lyrics, but if there are it’s just a judgment call. I definitely preferred the radio version of this song to the album version and I searched high and low for a clean copy of the CD. I even ordered one from eBay which turned out to be the dirty version, so still I didn’t have the good version of this song. Then in the summer of 2005 while a mission trip to an Indian reservation in Utah, I found the clean version in Wal-Mart. It was serendipitous to say the least and regardless of how much money I had at the time, I knew I had to get it because I may never come across it again. The album as a whole is a tad depressing, but still a great record. Cold released two more albums in 2003 and 2005 but announced on their Myspace nearly a year ago that they were calling it quits. It’s probably better that way because bands can’t last forever and Cold’s genre has already had it’s day in the sun.


Cold - "It's All Good"

No comments:

Post a Comment