...music you should know.

Sunday, November 25, 2007

Old Crow Medicine Show - "Wagon Wheel" (2004)

When Alabama sang “Play me some mountain music” they were probably talking about the kind of music that Old Crow Medicine Show make. The guys in the band aren’t that old but play beyond their years with a sound that originated in the mountains of Tennessee and North Carolina. Growing up in the South, I’ve never had an aversion to country music. That’s not to say that some of it isn’t crap, because there is bad music in every genre. But if you dig deep enough you’ll find some gems as well. I first heard of Old Crow Medicine Show back in 2004 on The World Café with David Dye which is an NPR show that plays all sorts of music from all over the world, but mainly focuses on Americana type music. David Dye has interviewed lots of my favorite artists like Nickel Creek, Mindy Smith and even Death Cab for Cutie. It’s a show worth checking out if it’s on in your area. Anyway, I heard this song and liked it but I kind of forgot about it after a while. I was reminded of it when I saw an ad in a magazine for Old Crow Medicine Show’s latest album and I went back and found today’s song. “Wagon Wheel” is the last track on their 2004 debut O.C.M.S. Everything about it is great from the banjo, to the fiddle to the melody.


Old Crow Medicine Show - "Wagon Wheel"

No comments:

Post a Comment