...music you should know.

Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Barenaked Ladies - "Call and Answer" (1998)

I’m sure you’ve heard of Barenaked Ladies. Almost ten years ago, their single “One Week” was nearly inescapable and not without good reason. The rapid-fire, seemingly nonsensical lyrics had everyone including me trying get the words just right so they could sing along with the incredibly catchy melody. While that song made them a household name and caused their album Stunt to go four times platinum (4 million copies sold), the band had actually been around for a few years before and seen some success with songs like “Brian Wilson”, “If I had $1,000,000” and “The Old Apartment.” Today’s song is one of my favorites that wasn’t a huge hit but is still one of their best. It appeared on Stunt as well as on their greatest hits record Disc One: All Their Greatest Hits 1991-2001. The band saw more success with their next album Maroon which had the singles “Pinch Me,” “Too Little Too Late,” and “Falling for the First Time.” I kind of lost track of them but I know they’re still making recordings. While I like them, I’ll guess I’ll always be just a casual fan which makes Disc One a really great buy, if not for the hit singles then for this song.


Barenaked Ladies - "Call and Answer"

No comments:

Post a Comment