...music you should know.

Monday, November 19, 2007

Stellastarr* - "My CoCo" (2003)

Remember the 80s? Stellastarr* does. This band would’ve been huge 20 years ago, but I guess they’ll have to settle for slight indie popularity in the present day. Admittedly I didn’t like Stellastarr* all that much when I first saw them on MTV2’s Subterranean back in early 2004. They were playing the video for their first single “In the Walls” and while I liked the guitar licks, there was something about singer Shawn Christensen’s voice that was off-putting. I saw the video a couple more times and it grew on me but I really got into the band when I heard today’s song. “My CoCo” is a bit cheesy, and maybe even a little over the top, but there’s no denying it’s a great pop song. From the bass line to the melody all the elements are there. The band released their second record Harmonies for the Haunted in 2005. That album is a bit darker and is somewhat comparable to Interpol, but Stellastarr* didn’t lose that great pop sound. The band are currently working on their third album, likely to be released in 2008.


Stellastarr* - "My CoCo"

No comments:

Post a Comment