...music you should know.

Thursday, November 15, 2007

Far-Less - "Gentlemen (Go To Sleep)" (2007)

Far-Less are a relatively new rock band on Tooth & Nail. Their debut EP Turn To the Bright seemed more suited for Solid State because of the large number of screaming vocal parts. It was interesting but nothing spectacular. Then early in 2006 they released their full length debut Everyone Is Out To Get Us which I didn’t immediately get, only being somewhat impressed with what I heard on their Myspace. Then I happened to catch them opening for Anberlin and Emery on the Tooth & Nail Tour and I had a newfound respect for them. They put on a great live show with lots of energy and even though I didn’t know any of the songs, I still enjoyed it. Shortly thereafter I picked up Everyone Is Out To Get Us. I liked it for the most part, the title track being the best in my opinion. I thought singer Brandon Welch had a very good voice but parts of the album were plagued with unnecessary screaming. I was wondering what to expect when I heard about their new record A Toast To Bad Taste. “Keep Keep,” the first song they posted online, had me hooked immediately and I could tell the band were headed in a better direction. Then came the next song they posted “A Surprise Funeral (For the Charmed)” and I new I had to get this one. Far-Less have completely abandoned the screaming and have a newfound focus on melody, while exploring their more experimental side musically. The addition of Elizabeth Pina on keys and backing vocals has a lot to do with the band’s new sound. I’ve only listened to this record once all the way through but I love the way it all flows together, with segues leading from one song to the next, giving it the feeling of one massive work. Today’s tune showcases Pina’s skills and is one of my new favorites. Keep your eye out for Far-Less, this album is one other bands will be envying.


Far-Less - "Gentlemen (Go To Sleep)"

No comments:

Post a Comment