...music you should know.

Friday, November 2, 2007

Coheed and Cambria - "Feathers" (2007)

Coheed and Cambria are one of the most unique bands in the music scene today. When they released their first album in 2002 they were somehow lumped into the emo scene, perhaps because they were on Equal Vision Records. Whatever the reason, I found it curious because they have much more of a prog-rock and even classic rock sound. Coheed and Cambria is a nerd’s dream band with the lyrics of all four of their albums telling a science fiction story. With C & C’s added popularity and growing budget after signing with Columbia records in 2004, lead singer and mastermind Claudio Sanchez has expanded the story with a series of graphic novels telling the story. I’m not much on the mythology of Coheed and Cambria. I have no idea what’s going on in the story, but I do know that the music rocks. For those like me unwilling or unable to get into the story, there’s still plenty to like. Sanchez’s voice has been repeatedly compared to Geddy Lee of Rush and not without merit. Sanchez can hit the high registers and is the perfect person to sing this material. The guitar playing is outstanding, recalling the less annoying moments of the hair metal heyday of the 80s. I had their first two albums but I didn’t really start to like them until I got their verbosely titled third album Good Apollo I’m Burning Star IV, Vol. 1: From Fear Through the Eyes of Madness. This album rocked more and had more musical focus than their previous efforts. Their new album is actually Vol. 2 of Good Apollo…, but is simply titled No World for Tomorrow. I’ve only listened to this a few times through but it doesn’t grab me yet like Vol. 1. There are fewer catchy songs but still some pretty great rockers like “Gravemakers and Gunslingers” and the first single “The Running Free.” My only complaint about this record is the horrible packaging. I’ve said I’ll never buy an album on iTunes because I like having the actual packaging and being able to read the liner notes and such. I might as well have bought this online because the packaging consists of little more than a cardboard sleeve and no liner notes. There is a web address on the back of the sleeve that shows you were to find the liner notes, but I can’t help but feel a little ripped off by this. Even so, the album is good so check out one of the catchiest tunes called “Feathers.”


Coheed and Cambria - "Feathers"

No comments:

Post a Comment