...music you should know.

Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Shiny Toy Guns - "You Are the One" (2006)

I first heard of Shiny Toy Guns last year when I saw that they would be on tour with Anberlin, who I greatly enjoy. I checked out their single “Le Disko” and wasn’t sold at first. I like the strong female lead vocals from Carah Faye Charnow, but something about the “techno-ness” turned me off a bit. The second song I heard from Shiny Toy Guns was today’s song and I was a little surprised to hear the back and forth vocals from Charnow and other lead singer Chad Petree. This song has a great hook that will stay with you and is decidedly less techno that “Le Disko.” I like the synth and the guitar tones that really bring back the 80s, but in a good way. A lot of bands are employing synthesizers these days and much of it feels trite, but Shiny Toy Guns aren’t ripping off your favorite bands from twenty years ago, their just being influenced by them. The rest of their debut We Are Pilots is mostly dominated by Petree’s vocals, which are outstanding, while Charnow chimes in here and there. I eventually grew to really like “Le Disko” despite my first impressions. I think “You Are the One” is the best example of what the band sounds like throughout most of the record, a record you should definitely check out.


Shiny Toy Guns - "You Are the One"

No comments:

Post a Comment