...music you should know.

Saturday, September 8, 2007

The Shins - "Sea Legs" (2007)

The Shins are one of those bands that initially didn’t get into, just because they seemed like an indie fad. I had heard a little from their 2003 album Chutes Too Narrow and I didn’t like it too much. James Mercer’s voice kind of annoyed me and I more or less wrote them off. Then in 2004 Garden State came out and The Shins kind of blew up. The movie featured two songs from their first record Oh, Inverted World, most notably “New Slang,” which according to Natalie Portman’s character will “change your life.” I kind of dug that song but I still wasn’t really a fan until I heard “Phantom Limb” from their latest album Wincing the Night Away. For some reason I really liked it even though it’s not that different from The Shins previous work. Maybe my tastes changed a little in that couple of years. Whatever the case, Wincing the Night Away is a record full of pop songs that are just weird enough to not breakout in the mainstream. “Sea Legs” stands out because of it’s chilled out rhythm mixed with strings which create a song that, to borrow a word from my parent’s generation, can be described as “groovy.” You’ll see what I mean.



The Shins - "Sea Legs"

No comments:

Post a Comment