...music you should know.

Friday, September 14, 2007

Caroline's Spine - "Wallflower" (1997)

Caroline’s Spine are a great band from the 90s that you might not remember. The released a string of independent records from ’93-’96 and then in 1997 came out with their major label debut Monsoon. This album is pretty much a collection of the best tracks from those independent records. In 1999 they released their proper debut, Attention Please. This was the first album of theirs that I heard. It’s great 90s rock in the vein of early Foo Fighters, Better Than Ezra, some Gin Blossoms. They didn’t see great commercial success and were subsequently dropped from Hollywood Records. They’ve released a few more indie albums earlier this decade. Today’s song is one I first found when I was looking around on the old Napster, and came across an acoustic version of it. The acoustic version is all I had ever known until I finally picked up Monsoon some time last year. I was surprised to hear how much this song rocks out because I was accustomed to the acoustic version, but I think the album version is quite excellent. According to the band’s Wikipedia entry, singer/songwriter Jimmy Newquist is the only remaining founding member and is supposedly releasing a new album on Sony sometime next year.


Caroline's Spine - "Wallflower"

No comments:

Post a Comment