...music you should know.

Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Charlotte Martin - "Stromata" (2006)

As I was trying to decide what song to post today, I realized that I’ve yet to feature a female artist. There’s no reasoning behind that, I guess I just don’t listen to many female artists. However I would be remiss to not put up some songs by some great emerging female artists that don’t suck (i.e. Fergie). Enter Charlotte Martin. She’s a excellent pianist and writes some great atmospheric piano rock in the vein of Tori Amos. Her latest album Stromata is out on Dinosaur Fight Records, a label she co-owns and runs with her husband Ken Andrews, who I’ve featured before. Today’s song is of course the title track from that album. I haven’t had a chance to listen to this album very much, but what I’ve heard is impressive. There are lots of electronic elements in the songs that give it a kind of spacey feel. It’s definitely more than just piano and vocals. An interesting side note for anyone who’s ever heard Mae’s The Everglow, Charlotte Martin is the voice on the prologue and epilogue tracks. Charlotte Martin is definitely an artist you should know and the first of hopefully more female artists I’ll feature here.


Charlotte Martin - "Stromata"

No comments:

Post a Comment