...music you should know.

Friday, September 28, 2007

Big Wreck - "That Song" (1997)

Big Wreck were a great Canadian band from the late 90s that flew mostly under the radar in the U.S. Their 1997 debut In Loving Memory Of… yielded a few top ten hits in Canada, most notably “The Oaf” an excellent song with a standout guitar line. Today’s song was also one that saw some success. The song itself is an ode to another song, but we don’t know what song. It’s better that way, because I think lots of people have certain songs that remind them moments in their lives and that’s what “That Song” is about. The opening line of the song goes “So I always get nostalgic with that song, but in my room it’s forced, it has to be in some car across the street.” I think that’s ironic because this song makes me nostalgic. I also love the huge chorus and rocking bridge. The band split earlier this decade but singer Ian Thornley, went on to form a band named Thornley. Their debut album Come Again came out in 2004 and is worth checking out, but they have a more modern rock edge to them, with Thornley’s voice sounding a little like Chris Cornell at times. So I listen to this song from time to time, but like the song says it’s best if it’s “in some car across the street.”


Big Wreck - "That Song"

No comments:

Post a Comment