...music you should know.

Monday, September 24, 2007

The Juliana Theory - "Is Patience Still Waiting?" (2000)

The Juliana Theory were one of the first bands on Tooth & Nail Records to really make a name for themselves. Keep in mind this was before Tooth & Nail were as big as they are now and before the advent of sites like Myspace and PureVolume.com. There debut Understand This Is a Dream came out in 1998 and they followed up in 2000 with, in my opinion, their best record Emotion Is Dead. I had heard of the band but didn’t actually hear them until late 2002 when I downloaded some tracks from Emotion. It’s a great mix of rocking tracks, mixed with some keys and electronic elements. Brett Detar’s voice is at it’s best on this record. The Juliana Theory released their third album Love in 2003. It rocked a little harder than Emotion, and had some great songs but mostly fell short of their previous greatness. This was probably partly due to the fact that they recorded it for Epic Records, a major label who undoubtedly wanted some radio hits. When the hits didn’t come, the band parted ways and eventually signed to Abacus Recordings where they released their final album Deadbeat Sweetheartbeat in 2005. I thought Deadbeat was a great collection of tracks and it seemed like new life for a band that had had its ups and downs. Just months after its release, the band announced online that they would be breaking up. I was a little disappointed, but maybe the band had run its course. I’m sure some of the members haven’t completely walked away from music and I expect to eventually hear something new from them. Tooth & Nail released a “best of” entitled A Small Noise, which collects the best tracks from their first two albums and an EP. That would be a good if you’ve never heard the band I guess, but I suggest you just pick up Emotion Is Dead. Today’s song is probably my favorite from the album. I mostly love the bridge with the awesome solo and the screaming in the background. Very nice.


The Juliana Theory - "Is Patience Still Waiting?"

No comments:

Post a Comment