...music you should know.

Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Iron and Wine - "Upward Over the Mountain" (2002)

Iron and Wine are another one of those one-man bands, this time the man being Sam Beam. I first heard Iron and Wine when I heard their 2004 album Our Endless Numbered Days. The band's sound is very stripped down, mostly only utilizing an acoustic guitar and Beam's faintly above a whisper voice. Iron and Wine are also noted for having covered The Postal Service track "Such Great Heights," which was later featured on the amazingly successful soundtrack to Garden State. I first heard today's song when I found a cool acoustic set and interview done by Brand New's Jesse Lacey. He opened the set with this song and I was intrigued and sought out the original version. This song, coming from Iron and Wine's 2002 debut The Creek Drank the Cradle, is a perfect introduction to Beam's brand of acoustic folk rock. Beam recorded the record himself at home and this song contains a great raw energy. I especially love the slide guitar solo. Iron and Wine will be releasing their third record, The Shepherd's Dog, later this month and I'm sure it will be full of great songs in the same vein. Even if you don't appreciate Beam's music, I think you have to admit that he rocks one of the greatest beards in modern history.



Iron and Wine - "Upward Over the Mountain"

No comments:

Post a Comment