...music you should know.

Friday, September 7, 2007

Copeland - "Careful Now" (2006)

Copeland are an excellent band from Florida that have a way of changing themselves on each album. Their debut, 2003’s Beneath Medicine Tree, was a great collection of pop rock songs with sensitive lyrics sung by Aaron Marsh. Sure it was emo, but done well. Copeland added elements of piano, strings and keyboards on 2005’s In Motion, but still managed to rock harder than before on songs like “No One Really Wins” and “Love Is a Fast Song.” They wasted no time getting back in the studio and released Eat, Sleep, Repeat last fall. After anticipating its release I was a little surprised at what I heard. Aside from Marsh’s unmistakable voice, I wouldn’t have known it was Copeland. The distorted guitars were gone and were replaced with piano and electronic drums. I wasn’t impressed right off and frankly I missed the old sound, but as I listened more I realized that this the type of music that Copeland are the best at making. The band signed with Columbia Records earlier this year and Eat, Sleep, Repeat was going to get major distribution, but due to label restructuring it kind of got forgotten and now Copeland are anticipating being dropped by the label. That’s really a shame but I’m sure that wherever they land, Copeland will continue to write excellent pop rock like this song.



Copeland - "Careful Now"

No comments:

Post a Comment