...music you should know.

Monday, September 3, 2007

Death Cab for Cutie - "Summer Skin" (2005)

Death Cab for Cutie are a band I initially shied away from because of their name. I think at one point I thought they were a metal band or something. Nevertheless, when I heard "Title & Registration" from their 2003 release Transatlanticism, I felt dumb for having not checked them out sooner. Ben Gibbard's vocal and lyrical style is in a league of its own. His lyrics can be witty and thought provoking and he has knack for using the exact right words to tell his story. Longtime fans of the band were no doubt ready to cry "sellout" when Death Cab signed to Atlantic for the 2005 album Plans, but they had no reason to be disappointed when the band turned out one of the best records of the year. There are some real gems on Plans and they cross the spectrum from toe tapping pop songs, to acoustic, to piano driven ballads. I chose today's song based on it's title and theme. "Summer Skin" is about summer coming to a close and saying goodbye to a seasonal romance. Labor Day is generally considered the ending point of summer and while I do enjoy the fall, its always a little sad to see another summer go.


Death Cab for Cutie - "Summer Skin"

No comments:

Post a Comment