...music you should know.

Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Manchester Orchestra - "Wolves at Night" (2006)

To me, the name Manchester Orchestra conjures images of mustachioed English gentlemen in three-piece suits playing stringed instruments and smoking pipes. In reality, Manchester Orchestra is just a group of five guys from Atlanta that make good music. I just purchased their oddly titled debut full length, I’m Like a Virgin Losing a Child. I had been seeing the name of this band on various music sites and reading their name in various magazines but had yet to actually hear them until a couple of weeks ago when I saw them perform this song on Letterman. I was intrigued by the performance and I also heard “Wolves At Night” a few times on the local college radio station. It’s been a while since I bought an album from a new band only having heard one song, but I’m now about halfway through my first listen and I don’t think I’m going to regret it. This album is full of excellent indie rock songs that meld together elements of some of my favorite bands. I was looking for more info on the band and came across this interview, in which singer Andy Hull talks about some of his influences being Death Cab for Cutie, Neutral Milk Hotel, and yesterday’s band Built To Spill. You can tell the influence of all three of those bands throughout this album. I also can’t help but notice that Hull’s voice somewhat resembles Nate Ruess of The Format. The interview also expounds on the meaning of the album title and it actually makes a good point. From what I can tell so far, there are a lot of spiritual elements weaved into the lyrics. I always enjoy when bands have something more to say than the standard boy-girl love songs. I think this is the best song to start off the album with and a great introduction to a band I’m sure I’ll be listening to for a while.



Manchester Orchestra - "Wolves at Night"

1 comment:

  1. Neutral Milk Hotel?

    That's so indie.

    How did Peg Leg Charity Drive never get used?

    ReplyDelete