...music you should know.

Saturday, September 15, 2007

Howie Day - "Bunnies" (2003)

Howie Day is a singer-songwriter who, in my opinion, could be so much more than he is. Don’t get me wrong I think he’s great, but he hasn’t reached his potential. I was first introduced to his music in 2002 when I heard his debut album Australia, a collection of ten amazing tracks that showcased his excellent voice and ability to craft memorable melodies. In 2003 he released The Madrigals EP, which was a small collection of a few new songs and different versions of old ones, but the real draw to this package is the live material. The EP comes with a DVD of Day playing four songs live at the Bowery Ballroom in New York. The DVD alone would be worth the price. It’s really cool to see him work like this. Day’s setup is simple: his voice, his guitar, and a set of effects pedals for each. He starts tapping out a backbeat on the body of the guitar, then he loops it and adds a guitar line, then a bass line and so on. Before long, you get the feeling there is a huge band accompanying him, but it’s still just him on the stage. Unfortunately only two of the four recordings are found on the audio CD, but if you're savvy, there are ways to rip the audio of the other two. After being wowed by Madrigals, I was of course ready to see what Day would deliver with his sophomore record Stop All the World Now. Unfortunately I was disappointed. Stop is not a bad album by any means, but it falls short of the mark he set with Madrigals. It’s just more or less straightforward adult contemporary which is not exactly my cup of tea. I was also disappointed that when he played on talk shows while promoting the album, he did so with a full band backing him instead of the way he did on the EP. He did see some success at radio and VH1 played his video for “Collide” a lot. He seems to have been laying low recently. Hopefully he’s working on something new that is better than his last full length. Keep in mind as you listen to “Bunnies” that this is just one guy. I really think he should record his next album like this.



Howie Day - "Bunnies"

1 comment:

  1. I love Howie Day's "Bunnies". It's one of my favorite songs. I love the way he plays and the tune is so catchy. I play it over and over and over. I can't seem to get enough of it!!!

    ReplyDelete