...music you should know.

Friday, October 5, 2007

Tonic - "Irish" (2002)

Tonic are probably one of the more underappreciated bands of the late 90s and early 00s. They’re probably most remembered for their hit “If You Could Only See” from their 1996 debut Lemon Parade. They also saw a boost in popularity when their song “You Wanted More” was featured on the soundtrack to American Pie in 1999. The song also appeared on their sophomore record Sugar, which had several other excellent songs. I think my favorite overall album of theirs was their last one Head On Straight. There are no bad songs on that album and it even got a Grammy nomination for best rock album in 2003. That’s one of the few times I actually agree with the Grammys. Today’s song is one that was never a single, but one of their coolest tracks in my opinion. It’s kind of a story song told from the perspective of an Irish man being forced to fight for England. The song has a Celtic feel musically and it has an awesome sing along moment when Emerson Hart yells out “I won’t die for England!” This song was brought to mind because there is a Celtic Festival in town this weekend. Even though I won’t be attending, it still made me think of this great song. Tonic have disbanded with Hart going on to start a solo career and he released an album earlier this year. I would suggest that if you weren’t into Tonic when they came out, go back and check them out now. You’ll feel bad that weren’t listening before.


Tonic - "Irish"

1 comment:

  1. They were an awesome band. I was really sorry to see them split up. You wouldn't happen to know the name of the drummer who toured with them in 2002, would you? I was told his name was Eric Primrose, but I haven't been able to find anything on a drummer by that name. The guy who was with them was a phenomenally good drummer.

    ReplyDelete