...music you should know.

Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Thrice - "Backdraft" (2007)

I first became acquainted with Thrice in 2003 when I saw the video for “All That’s Left,” the first single from their major label debut The Artist In the Ambulance. At first I wasn’t too impressed. As I saw it a couple more times it grew on me, but I never got the album. That was until I finally heard the title track and I was hooked. Teppei Teranishi’s lead guitar is amazing on the song and Dustin Kensrue’s lyrics are though provoking. I finally purchased The Artist In the Ambulance and I liked it but I was surprised at how heavy some parts of it were. Judging from Thrice’s singles I wouldn’t have guessed that they have as many scream-heavy songs as they do, but I eventually grew to love the screamers as well. In 2005, Thrice came back with their powerhouse fourth studio album Vheissu which shattered all expectations and is easily my favorite of their albums. Vheissu found Thrice exploring their more melodic side, to the chagrin of many longtime fans. They did however mix in plenty of heavy tracks and some of the best guitars in recent modern rock history. What also struck me was the lyrical content of Vheissu. Kensrue wrote passionately about his faith and I think the album contained more Christian lyrics that some “Christian” bands out today. The most notable of these was the poignant interpretation of the apostle Peter’s denial of Christ, in “Like Moths To Flame.” Vheissu set the bar pretty high for Thrice, but I knew they would keep creating great music and now after two years we have some new stuff from them. The Alchemy Index is an album in four parts. Each disc contains six songs dealing with one of the basic elements: Fire, Water, Earth and Air. I guess this bold concept was too much for Island Records. The band and the label didn’t see eye to eye and they parted ways amicably earlier this year. Instead, Thrice have gone the indie route with Vagrant Records, known mostly for releasing albums by Dashboard Confessional and The Get Up Kids. I was a little thrown by the pairing at first, but with a band like Thrice, the label is a non-issue. These guys make the music they want to make period. Vagrant decided to release the album in two part increments beginning this month with Fire and Water, with Earth and Air following in the Spring. What’s interesting is that each disc is informed lyrically and musically by its title. Fire has lots of imagery dealing with flames and burning and whatnot, while Water is largely concerned with the ocean and ships and things of that nature. This had to be an incredible challenge for the band to write in this way, but they’ve proven they are up to it. I must admit I was a little afraid that Fire would be all screaming and devoid of melody, but that is not the case. There’s an ample mix of both along with some of Thrice’s heaviest guitars ever. Water finds Thrice delving their more experimental side, with lots of electronics and keys mixed in and absolutely no screaming. All of the songs on Water put the listener in a somewhat dreamlike state, especially the epic instrumental “Night Diving.” Today’s song is probably my favorite from Fire. I like it because it isn’t one tempo all the way through. It rises and falls and has a great chorus. The Alchemy Index Vols. I & II is a must for any fan of Thrice’s previous work and a great buy for someone looking for a little depth to their modern rock. I just can’t wait until Spring to see what the next two volumes will be like.


Thrice - "Backdraft"

No comments:

Post a Comment