...music you should know.

Monday, October 15, 2007

Snow Patrol - "One Night Is Not Enough" (2001)

Snow Patrol are a great band from Ireland that have seen quite a spike in popularity in the past year and a half. Their fourth album Eyes Open came out in May 2006 and shortly thereafter, they seemed to be everywhere. “Chasing Cars” was featured on Grey’s Anatomy and quickly became a hit on radio. I really liked Eyes Open and I think it contains some of Snow Patrol’s catchiest songs and I can see why it’s such a huge hit. However, I still prefer their third album Final Straw, perhaps because it was the first one I heard. I has some really cool and quirky songs on it and I really grew to like the band after hearing it. “Run” was the “Chasing Cars” of Final Straw, a huge anthemic song that is sure to have people waving lighters at live shows for years to come. I knew that Snow Patrol had two other albums before Final Straw but they hadn’t been released in the U.S. They were available as an import but I wasn’t intrigued enough to pay $30 a piece for them. Finally last year they were released stateside and both their debut Songs for Polar Bears and their second album When It’s All Over We Still Have To Clear Up included bonus tracks. Neither one of these records is nearly as good as their successors but it’s cool to see how far Snow Patrol have come. Today’s song from When It’s All Over… shows promise of what they would become. Maybe some people are sick of Snow Patrol by now, and even I have to admit that I’m a little tired of “Chasing Cars” at this point. But you can’t hate them for writing great songs and I’ve got a feeling they’re going to be writing them for a while.


Snow Patrol - "One Night Is Not Enough"

No comments:

Post a Comment