...music you should know.

Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Explosions In the Sky - "Your Hand In Mine (with strings)" (2004)

Explosions In the Sky are an interesting experimental rock band from Austin, Texas. Part of their intrigue comes from the fact that there are no vocals in any of their songs. They are entirely instrumental. That might be a turn off to some people, and at one time I might not have given them a second listen. However, I suggest you do because they make some pretty great music. I was first introduced to the band after hearing their amazing score for the film Friday Night Lights, which chronicles a season of football with the Panthers of Permian High School in Odessa, Texas. The movie is one of the best as far as football movies go and even if you don’t necessarily like football, it’s still pretty good. When I was sitting in the theater I found myself paying close attention to the score and how it sets the tone for the movie. I love music but I must admit I’m usually not into scores unless it’s something timeless like Star Wars or Superman or pretty much anything by John Williams. Shortly after seeing the movie, I purchased the soundtrack and was not disappointed. This is a great CD for night driving or to just have as background music while working around the house. The band recently released their fourth album All of a Sudden I Miss Everyone earlier this year. Today’s song first appeared in a longer version on their third album The Earth Is Not a Cold a Dead Place. This is my favorite, but the whole CD is great. The band are also doing some of the score for the television series adaptation of Friday Night Lights. So if you’re in the mood for some cool instrumental music, Explosions In the Sky are a band worth checking out.


Explosions In the Sky - "Your Hand In Mine (with strings)"

No comments:

Post a Comment