...music you should know.

Thursday, October 11, 2007

Kevin Devine - "Cotton Crush" (2005)

Kevin Devine is a singer/songwriter from Brooklyn who has released four full length albums. I first discovered his music in early 2006 when I heard songs from his third album Split the Country, Split the Street. What struck me the most about this particular song is how much it sounds like a great rock band and not what you’d typically expect from a solo artist. I was also intrigued by Devine when I noticed that Brand New front man Jesse Lacey provides back up vocals for this song and two others on the album. This song just has a great build up of energy and some pretty excellent guitar work. Devine released his fourth album Put Your Ghost To Rest in late 2006 on Capitol Records. What I’ve heard of it doesn’t rock nearly as much as “Cotton Crush” but it’s still pretty good. Devine toured earlier this year with Lacey on a small club tour where they played Devine’s songs as well as Brand New’s. I really wish I could’ve seen one of those shows. Devine is currently on a solo tour with Manchester Orchestra front man Andy Hull. Something tells me that would be an awesome show as well. Kevin Devine is an artist creating honest rock music and he’s definitely one to keep your eye on.


Kevin Devine - "Cotton Crush"

No comments:

Post a Comment