...music you should know.

Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Cave In - "Inspire" (2003)

Cave In is a rock band that began in the metalcore scene. I’m not too familiar with metalcore, but I imagine it’s exactly what it sounds like: very heavy, scream-filled rock music. The first time I heard Cave In however, I did not hear their metalcore side. What I heard was heavy but also very spacey and atmospheric, with great melodies to boot, not something indicative of a metalcore band. The song was “Come Into Your Own” from their 2002 EP Tides of Tomorrow. I dug the song and when I first heard their 2003 album Antenna, I was even more intrigued. I bought Antenna after hearing a few songs I was quite pleased. The album has a huge feel, some insane guitar work and a few lengthy jams. You may remember that the video for lead single “Anchor” was played quite a bit on MTV2. That was one of my two favorites on the record, the other being today’s song. “Inspire” has some great riffs and a huge chorus. I was surprised to read in some magazine articles that many fans of Cave In’s previous work were not impressed with Antenna. It seems that it was too great a departure from what they had done in the past. I loved the record and thought they should make more like it. In 2005, Cave In released their fifth album Perfect Pitch Black. I’ve heard from a friend who bought the album that it was a return to their roots, with maybe only one song coming close to the greatness of Antenna. I was disappointed to hear this, but I guess Cave In were making the kind of music they wanted to. Last year the band announced their indefinite hiatus. They may not come back, but if they do I’ll be listening and hoping they put out another record like Antenna.


Cave In - "Inspire"

No comments:

Post a Comment