...music you should know.

Thursday, August 30, 2007

Saosin - "I Never Wanted To" (2006)

Saosin are a band that caused a lot of buzz before they were even signed to a label. Their debut EP Translating the Name, was self-released in 2003 but the band achieved national popularity largely due to word of mouth and the internet. Original lead singer Anthony Green left the band sometime in 2004 but Saosin managed to regroup, recruiting Cove Reber for vocal duties. Reber’s voice fits well with the music Saosin makes, not to mention it sounds quite similar to Green’s. Some fans still see Translating the Name as the band’s best work, but it’s not what turned me onto them. I first heard Saosin on the Atticus Dragging the Lake, Vol. 3 compilation. Their song “Bury Your Head” caught me with its intricate guitar work, catchy chorus, and rapid fire drumming. I was hooked but it was nearly two years later before Saosin would release a full length. When they finally released their self titled debut album last September I was impressed. Sure they sound similar to some other “emo” bands out there today but this album is completely void of any screaming, which in this case is a good thing. There are several heavy, fast songs on the record as well as a few slower, softer tracks, but I think today’s song does the best job of mixing those two elements to create the best song on the album.



Saosin - "I Never Wanted To"

No comments:

Post a Comment