...music you should know.

Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Better Than Ezra - "Rarely Spoken" (2000)

Better Than Ezra are a band that I will forever associate with my adolescence. Their first record, Deluxe came out in 1995, the year I entered the sixth grade. Their fourth album, Closer, came out right before I began my senior year of high school in 2001. They're one of the first bands I really got into and any time I listen to one of their albums it reminds me of my not so distant youth. I think it’s unfortunate that most of America only remembers BTE for their hit “Good” from Deluxe. While “Good” is an excellent song, Ezra has become so much more than that three minutes of pop gold. Their second record Friction, Baby is probably my favorite, but you really can’t go wrong with any of their albums. While they may be just a one hit wonder to some people, Better Than Ezra continue to put out great records and they manage to sell out the House of Blues in their hometown of New Orleans on a regular basis. Today’s song comes from their b-sides and rarities compilation Artifakt. Included on this CD are some remastered versions of songs that appeared on their original 1989 demo cassette Surprise, as well as an outstanding cover of the Bill Withers classic “Use Me.” “Rarely Spoken” wasn’t on Surprise, but I believe it predates Deluxe. Regardless of when it was written, it is one of my favorite Better Than Ezra tunes and hopefully will be one of yours too.



Better Than Ezra - "Rarely Spoken"

No comments:

Post a Comment