...music you should know.

Tuesday, August 21, 2007

The Academy Is... - "Seed" (2007)

The Academy Is… released one of the best pop-punk albums in recent history back in 2005 with Almost Here. Each of the album’s ten tracks was pretty much gold and you couldn’t resist singing along. Needless to say, their 2007 sophomore release Santi was highly anticipated by me and several other music fans. When I first heard the lead single “We’ve Got a Big Mess On Our Hands,” I was kind of thrown for a loop. What I heard was a big rock song with a huge guitars and a catchy melody, but it was not the Academy Is… of old. I actually have to applaud the Academy Is… for not sticking with what worked in the past. It probably would’ve been easy to make another record just like Almost Here, but perhaps they saw that that genre was getting stale. Santi isn’t as immediately appealing as its predecessor. It takes a few listens to get into and some songs are hit or miss, but there are some excellent tracks here. Today’s song is not one that is likely to be a single, but it’s probably my favorite on the album. It has a distinctive older feeling to it. I love the guitar tone and the slow building pace of the song. The chorus doesn’t hit until about two thirds of the way in, but when it does you’ll see that it was worth the wait.



The Academy Is... - "Seed"

No comments:

Post a Comment