...music you should know.

Saturday, August 11, 2007

Mute Math - "Chaos" (2006)

I was first introduced to Mute Math in late 2004 when I heard “Control” from their debut release, the Reset EP. I was intrigued, so I got the EP. It was good, but “Control” was the only really standout track. My perception of Mute Math changed about year later when I had the pleasure of seeing them open for Mae. Usually when an opening band is playing, I’m checking my watch and wondering how long before the headliner comes out. This was not the case with Mute Math. They exploded on the stage with more energy that I’ve ever seen from a live band. Singer/keyboardist Paul Meany was bouncing all over the place, jumping off of his keyboard stand and captivating the crowd with a keytar. Yes, I said a keytar. When their six song set came to a close I found myself not wanting it to end. Their self titled full length album came out shortly after that and it is full of great songs. I got to see them perform a full set on their CD release tour in early 2006 and I was even more blown away. Mute Math has been garnering some attention lately for their first official single “Typical,” which has a very innovative video. They also got to show off their live prowess to the entire nation when they played the song on Letterman. They've also recently released a live DVD entitled Flesh and Bones Electric Fun, which I have yet to see but I'm almost certain it will not disappoint. Today’s song was one of those six I first heard them play live and it is one of my favorites on the record. I suggest you get to know Mute Math now, so you can say you knew them before they were huge.


Mute Math - "Chaos"

No comments:

Post a Comment