...music you should know.

Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Bad Books - "Please Move" & "Holding Down the Laughter" (2010)

Manchester Orchestra and Kevin Devine are two artists I have liked separately for a quite a while. When I heard that they would be collaborating in a new band called Bad Books, I was excited to say the least. When their self-titled debut dropped back in October, I was still pumped, but what I found wasn't necessarily what I expected. The album consists of ten songs, with half penned by Devine and the other half by Manchester front-man Andy Hull. Lead single “You Wouldn't Have To Ask,” is a power-pop gem with hooks galore clocking in at under two minutes. Both writers shine in the ablum's more acoustic moments such as Hull's “I Begged You Everything” and Devine's alt-country masterpiece “Mesa, AZ.” The members of Bad Books are adamant that this is not merely a one-off side project, but the beginning of an actual band that will continue to record and tour. The album serves to tide over Manchester Orchestra fans awaiting that band's highly anticipated third album Simple Math, due out in May. Since Bad Books features songs from two different writers and singers, I thought it only appropriate to provide you with examples of each. So enjoy Hull's “Please Move” and Devine's “Holding Down the Laughter,” then go buy the whole record.


Bad Books - "Please Move"


Bad Books - "Holding Down the Laughter"

No comments:

Post a Comment