...music you should know.

Monday, June 1, 2009

Manchester Orchestra - "The River" (2009)

There are few bands that I absolutely geek out for. There are some that I feel the need to own every last EP, import single, and compilation track to truly have everything that band has ever done. Even though they are a relatively young band with only two full length records under their belt, Manchester Orchestra has become and will forever be one of those bands for me. I first became acquainted with them nearly two years ago after witnessing them play “Wolves at Night” on Letterman . (There is actually good music on TV sometimes.) Shortly thereafter I fell in love with their debut I’m Like a Virgin Losing a Child. There was rarely a week for the next year that I didn’t listen to it in its entirety. Last fall when they posted the “I Can Feel a Hot One” from their Let My Pride Be What’s Left Behind EP, I probably listened to it 10 times a day. I may be coming off a little obsessive, but there’s just something about this band that grabbed from moment one and I haven’t been able stop listening. Needless to say, their sophomore album Mean Everything To Nothing was at the top of my most anticipated list. When April 21 finally rolled around I was ready to be blown away and Manchester Orchestra did not disappoint me. Right out of the gate, “The Only One” brings more raw energy and distortion than any of their previous work and you know you’re in for a ride. As lead singer/guitarist/lyricist Andy Hull proclaims “I am the only one that thinks I’m going crazy and I don’t know what to do,” you can’t help but believe him. This record is undeniably epic and that is quite evident in the dynamic shift in the last two minutes of “Shake It Out.” The first single “I’ve Got Friends” is excellently punctuated by a memorable piano line courtesy of Chris Freeman and one of the strongest songs lyrically, with lines like “The dirtier the sound the best I breathe, I tried to do it all for you it didn’t do anything for me.” In a scene that has so long been lyrically hung up on the dissolution of relationships and the same old “boy pining for girl” whining, Andy Hull is putting everyone to shame with honest lyrics about friendships, pride, abuse, wrestling with God and everything in between. Today’s song is the perfect album closer and does a great job of summing up everything you just experienced beforehand. “The River” is Hull’s desperate plea of repentance as he sings “Oh God I need it, I was wrong again. Take me to the river and make me clean again.” The last verse is a paraphrase of old hymn “Come Thou Fount” where Hull speaks of being prone to wander as he sings “I’m gonna leave you the first chance I get.” That’s the kind of lyrical honesty that isn’t often found even in “Christian” music. Musically, Mean Everything To Nothing is very much a rock record and should put to rest any claims that Manchster Orchestra were ever “emo.” They show influences of everyone from Nirvana (“In My Teeth”) to Pinkerton era Weezer (“My Friend Marcus.”) Still there are several songs that can only be seen as Manchester Orchestra tunes. They have truly solidified their sound on this album and in my opinion it should be considered among the best records of the decade and one that will define their career. I haven’t been able to stop listening. You need to start.


Manchester Orchestra - "The River"

1 comment:

  1. glad to have you back....this could be one of your best reviews yet.

    ReplyDelete