...music you should know.

Saturday, June 6, 2009

Superdrag - "Sucked Out" (1996)

Superdrag are a band that are considered by some be one of the original purveyors of power pop, an extra catchy brand of rock and roll. The band saw some success in this genre with their 1996 debut Regretfully Yours. I’m actually a tad embarrassed to say that I was ignorant of Superdrag’s existence until just a few years ago when I came across today’s song on an online list of favorite 90s songs. I was somewhat familiar with front man John Davis, having played a track from his 2005 self titled solo debut on college radio, but I was unaware of his roots. I checked out this song and blown away by it’s catchiness and wondered how I had missed it before. I especially love the line “look at me, I can write a melody, but I can’t expect a soul to care.” The band released a few more records before going on hiatus in 2003. They recently reunited to release Industry Giants on their own label earlier this year. I haven’t checked out any of that, but I find myself going back to this song every now and then when I need about three minutes of fun.


Superdrag - "Sucked Out"

No comments:

Post a Comment