...music you should know.

Monday, June 8, 2009

Paper Route - "Wish" (2009)

Paper Route are innovative electro-pop band from Nashville that quickly became one of my favorite new artists last year. Their EP Are We All Forgotten was in constant rotation for me for the latter half of 2008. I was eagerly awaiting the day they would finally release their first full length record. At the end of April the wait was over and Paper Route delivered in a big way with Absence, a diverse collection of 12 songs that find the young band at their strongest. The vocal combination of keyboardist/percussionist J.T. Daly and guitarist Andy Smith is seamless and works incredibly well with the music. Lyrically, Absence focuses heavily on failed relationships and can at times be overwrought with emotion, but I think that at least makes Paper Route honest. There’s also a distinct spiritual element to some songs such as “Are We All Forgotten” and the epic closer “Dance On Our Graves,” in which Daly sings “Will I know it when I see it? Will I know it when you’re here?” and is then accompanied by a beautiful string and drum breakdown which is the perfect close to the record. Musically, the album ranges from piano heavy tracks like the opener “Enemy Among Us” to the more hip hop-esque “Gutter.” There’s truly something for everyone here. In my opinion, Paper Route are at their best when combining all of these elements, such as on the heavier lead single “Carousel” which also features a good deal of electronics and is high energy with a catchy piano line throughout. Today’s song was one that stood out the first time I heard it when I saw the band live about a month before Absence released. I recognized it immediately after hearing it on the record and found myself singing along before the end. “Wish” is a great example of everything Paper Route does well, from the excellent dual vocals to the meshing of guitar rock and electronics, it’s just a fantastic song.


Paper Route - "Wish"

No comments:

Post a Comment