...music you should know.

Tuesday, February 10, 2009

First Wave Hello - "Lay Down" (2006)

First Wave Hello were an alternative/electro rock band from San Diego. I first became aware of them in spring of 2007 when I saw them open for Ken Andrews. Opening bands are sometimes hit or miss but I had a feeling these guys would be good considering that they were also acting as the backing for Andrews on the entire tour. If he trusted them enough to do that, I figured they had to be at least decent. The band powered through about five original songs that blew away the small crowd that was more than receptive to their electronica laced brand of alternative rock. After the show I picked up a copy of their debut full length The Lord and Its Penguin, which was mixed by Andrews. Today’s song was the standout track for me both on the record and in the live setting. It mixes some excellent keyboard sounds and atmospherics with driving guitars and a melody that stays with you. The band released one more album called God Bless, Devil You in 2007 and are currently on indefinite hiatus according to their Myspace page.


First Wave Hello - "Lay Down"

No comments:

Post a Comment