...music you should know.

Thursday, February 5, 2009

Snow Patrol - "If There's a Rocket Tie Me To It" (2008)

I’ve been a fan of Snow Patrol ever since hearing “Spitting Games” from their 2004 breakout album Final Straw. Since that time this band from the U.K. has seemed poised to take over the world on the strength of their ubiquitous hit “Chasing Cars” from their 2006 album Eyes Open. That album was huge commercial success, selling over 3 million copies worldwide. Pretty much every track on Eyes Open was phenomenal so Snow Patrol had a lot to live up to with the follow up album. They released their fifth studio album A Hundred Million Suns last October. I was a little unsure when I heard the first single “Take Back the City.” Don’t get me wrong, it’s a good song, but it just didn’t grab me the way Snow Patrol has in the past. It eventually grew on me and I was looking forward to the new record. It’s hard to place why, but A Hundred Million Suns has yet to make a huge impression on me. I mean the songs are good, but for the most part they’re just there. Several songs employ the same repetitive strumming pattern that worked so well on “Open Your Eyes” from Eyes Open, but here it just feels redundant. There are however some interesting tracks such as the epic three part closer “The Lightning Strike,” clocking in at over 16 minutes. Today’s song is the first on the record and is a great example of Snow Patrol on top of their game. A Hundred Million Suns is by no means a bad record, it’s just a mediocre one for a band that is capable of much more.


Snow Patrol - "If There's a Rocket Tie Me To It"

No comments:

Post a Comment