...music you should know.

Friday, December 5, 2008

Jonezetta - "Sick In the Teeth" (2008)

Jonezetta quickly became one of my favorite bands in early 2006 when I checked out their four song demo EP after hearing they had signed to Tooth and Nail Records. The songs were incredibly catchy dance rock that somewhat resembled what the Killers and The Bravery were doing but also had a lot more edge. I saw them live and they blew me away and I eagerly anticipated their debut album Popularity. When it finally came out, it spent weeks on repeat in my CD player and I still go back to it often. Needless to say I was stoked to hear that they had a new record coming this fall. After hearing the first song they put on their Myspace, "Paint and Picture," I was a little confused as to where the old Jonezetta had gone. The song wasn't bad by any means, just not as entergetic as before and perhaps less poppy. Of course I still went out and got their sophomore record Cruel To Be Young the day it came out and though it took me a few listens to grow accustomed to their new sound, it has become one of my new favorites as well. The only song from Cruel To Be Young that would even fit on Popularity is "Busy Body," a danceworthy three minute pop gem. Jonezetta still bring the rock on this record but it's far more subtle this time around. There are a couple songs that are even based around the organ if you can believe that. Today's song is a standout to me because of it's quirkiness. "Sick In the Teeth" has an interesting guitar line that somewhat reminds me of Jonezetta's Mississippi brethren Colour Revolt. The song is also helped by guest vocals from David Bazan of Pedro the Lion fame. If you've been a fan of Jonezetta, it may take you a bit to get into this record, but even if you've never heard them before, this is still one of the best indie records to come out this year.


Jonezetta - "Sick In the Teeth"

No comments:

Post a Comment