...music you should know.

Monday, December 1, 2008

The Format - "Dog Problems" (2006)

The Format was a great indie rock duo from Arizona that I loved ever since I heard their song “The First Single” back in 2003. Their debut album Interventions and Lullabies was filled with clever rock tunes that had lots of acoustic guitar, just enough distortion and plenty of hooks to go around. After a long ordeal with their record label, The Format was finally able to self-release their sophomore album Dog Problems in the summer of 2006. I have to admit that at first I was apprehensive about this record. I mean I liked it, but it failed to grab me like the first album did. Dog Problems was much quirkier and employed a myriad of instruments from horns and strings to keyboards of all kinds. There were still a few tight pop songs with solid hooks such as “She Doesn’t Get It” and “The Compromise,” a lyrical stab at the record industry that had scorned the duo. I listened off and on and would sometimes go back to the album, but only to listen to a few songs. A few weeks ago I was on Facebook (as I am far too often now) and someone had posted a line from “Dog Problems” as their status update. I laughed and thought about how crazy the title track was and how it seemed to be quite a departure with it’s circus-like and somewhat Broadway inspired instrumentation. Not to mention the abundance of lyrics sung only in a way that front man Nate Ruess can pull off. I went back and listened to the song and realized how great it was. Then I listened to it again. And again. Then one more time for good measure. “Dog Problems” was on infinite repeat in my head for the better part of week. The tune is definitely infectious. This new found appreciation for the song led me to rediscover parts of the album that I had neglected such as the poppy “Dead End” and the excellent closer “If Work Permits” which starts slowly with acoustic guitar and builds to a rollicking punk inspired tune at the end. I then checked out The Format’s B-Sides and Rarities release which is filled with some great demos, covers and studio outtakes. I also picked up their DVD Live at the Mayan Theatre which was filmed in the summer of 2007. The band plays through Dog Problems in it’s entirety as well as some old favorites from Interventions and a new song. The show is quite unique in that they are backed by full horn and string sections to present the album as it was recorded. They also enlist the help of some of their friends such as the band Reuben’s Accomplice, some members of Steel Train and even Jim Adkins from Jimmy Eat World. The only thing that sucks about my new obsession with all things The Format is that they are no longer together. The band released a statement via their Myspace back in February announcing that they would not be making another record together. No specifics were given as to why. But now the members are on to other projects. Sam Means, who was the musical driving force is now collaborating with Michelle DeLaRosa formerly of Straylight Run on her new project, Destry. Nate Ruess has formed a new band called Fun, with Jack Antonoff of Steel Train and Andrew Dost of Anathallo. Their debut album should be out in the spring. I definitely look forward to checking out these new projects but at the same time I will miss The Format and I hope that maybe we haven’t heard the last of them.

P.S. As an added bonus since I’ve been slacking for so long, I also give you “Swans” which was a new song from the DVD. As far as I know, there is no studio recording of it.


The Format - "Dog Problems"


The Format - "Swans (live)"

No comments:

Post a Comment