...music you should know.

Friday, July 25, 2008

M.I.A. vs. Modest Mouse - "Paper Fire" (2008)

Ahh, the mash-up. It’s become a trend in recent years for producers to take two songs that seemingly have little to do with each other and put them together to create something new and at times as cool or cooler than the originals. Usually, this involves using the music from one song and overlaying the vocals from another and interchanging verses and choruses. If you have access to the master tracks of each of the songs, a lot can be done to create something entirely new. Today’s song is my first attempt at the mash-up. The idea for this came about after seeing the trailer for the new Seth Rogen movie Pineapple Express. I really dug the song in the trailer and found out it was “Paper Planes” by Sri Lankan indie hip-hop artist M.I.A. from her 2007 album Kala. I had never been too impressed with her work in the past, but this song was just cool to me. After listening to it several times, something jumped out as familiar to me. The bass line just seemed like something I had heard before, I found myself humming a melody and I realized that some elements of “Paper Planes” sounded eerily similar to “Fire It Up” from the 2007 album We Were Dead Before the Ship Even Sank by Modest Mouse. With the help of Adobe Audition 1.5 software, I was able to try my hand at doing a mash up. Of course I didn’t have the masters of the songs, so I couldn’t get this exactly right, but I don’t think it’s bad for a first try. Check it out.


M.I.A. vs. Modest Mouse - "Paper Fire"

1 comment: