...music you should know.

Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Coldplay - "Death and All His Friends" (2008)

Coldplay are simultaneously one of the most loved and most hated bands in the world. They need no introduction. You’ve heard their music on your radio and your television and playing over the loudspeaker at just about any retail outlet. You’ve also probably already come to your own conclusion about them, so I won’t try to sway you. I will say that while I think Coldplay make excellent music, front man Chris Martin has taken pompous arrogance to a whole new, extremely British level. I had gained a little respect for him after seeing him play an over the top “parody” of himself on the hit show Extras. I thought it was cool that he was able to laugh at himself, but after reading some of the press about Coldplay’s newest album Viva La Vida or Death and All His Friends, I think that maybe he didn’t have to try too hard to come off as such a jerk on the show. That being said, I feel as though Coldplay have made great strides to move forward from the epic piano ballads that have defined them in the past. Viva La Vida uses the piano only sparsely. It’s still there, it just doesn’t dominate the mix on every song. The most notable difference in sound is the way they used percussion, employing everything from handclaps and stomps to tympani. There’s also a generous use of strings on songs like “42” and “Yes.” Today’s song is the last one on the record and I guess could be called one of two title tracks. I like the way that it starts softly and builds to an excellent climax and showcases everything that Coldplay is good at from the piano parts to the huge guitar crescendos. I especially enjoy the bridge. All told, Viva La Vida is a great album. It probably won’t change any of your preconceived notions about the band, but if you’ve ever even been a casual fan, it’s one worth checking out.



Coldplay - "Death and All His Friends"

No comments:

Post a Comment