...music you should know.

Sunday, January 25, 2009

Fleet Foxes - "Blue Ridge Mountains" (2008)

Fleet Foxes are the latest buzz band to release an album on Sub Pop Records, the trendsetting label based in Seattle. Fleet Foxes self titled debut was released last summer and the band’s popularity has continued to increase ever since, due in part to the success of their first single “White Winter Hymnal,” a brief piece of indie pop gold. Fleet Foxes sound like a mixture of their labelmates Iron & Wine and Band of Horses, as well a little My Morning Jacket. The entire record is very folk oriented and has a distinct older feel to it. It’s almost as if they got in time machine and recorded it in the 70s. Even the cover art looks old. I like Fleet Foxes but to be perfectly honest there is nothing really outstanding about this record. I know that they ended up on about a thousand critics top ten lists last year and the songs are great, but they have a way of blending together with very little distinguishing song to song. It is however a great album to put on when going for a drive. It’s quite relaxing. My first exposure to Fleet Foxes came when I saw them perform today’s song on Letterman. I didn’t catch the beginning of the performance and I was trying to figure out who it was the whole time. When the bridge kicked in about halfway through the song, I was hooked. I later found out it was them and then got lucky and found the album for $5.00 on Amazon.com. Definitely money well spent even if I’m not totally blown away by the record.


Fleet Foxes - "Blue Ridge Mountains"

No comments:

Post a Comment