...music you should know.

Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Lorien - "Make the Deadye Miss" (2009)

Lorien is a relatively new rock band that formed in Nashville. Their debut record Esque hit stores back in February and for me it’s been the surprise hit of the year. I had never heard of Lorien until one night this summer when I flipped on the local college station (which I can rarely bring myself to do anymore) and heard today’s song. I was immediately hooked by back and forth male and female vocals courtesy of Kaleb Jones and Cara Pollack. When I got home, I checked out their Myspace and liked what I heard and made an impulse buy of the album. Easily the best money I’ve blindly spent on music this year. Esque is a great album through and through. From the dance rock of “Sowing Bad Seeds” to the melodramatic, piano heavy “Do the Regret,” Lorien deliver on every level. While the record is mostly guitar driven there are plenty of keyboard and string flourishes to keep the mix interesting. There are many gems on Esque and I think Lorien is a band that you should start liking now, because they could get huge soon.


Lorien - "Make the Deadeye Miss"

No comments:

Post a Comment